Music Picks — 02/05/21
Some amazing compilation releases and new music. I’ve made a few new artist/dj/producer discoveries that I’m excited to share as well. Here we go!
- A State of Trance #1000 Epic Mix 20 year mix — Armin Van Buuren’s trance music career matches the same amount of time I’ve been into electronic music (~1997–99). His regular ‘A State of Trance — ASOT’ weekly show has been a mainstay for trance heads to get their fix between parties and shows. Celebrating 1000 ASOT shows, Armin puts out an absolute monster of a 2 hour set here. He weaves tracks in from the past 20 years of the show, cutting right to the best part of each song in ~60 second chunks in a medley style mix. I listened during a long outdoor run and I had a smile on my face the whole way! :)
- Anjunadeep 12 — James Grant and Jody Wisternoff have completed the epic 3-disc release of Anjunadeep 12. Huge artists and some promising new names sprinkled throughout this LP. This is one you’ll play for months.
- Gabriel & Dresden 20 year Anjuna mix — Anjunabeats is also celebrating 20 years with each of the label’s big artists putting out amazing retrospective mixes. Gabriel & Dresden’s installment is typical of the submersive, deep tracks they both create and spin. Long, extended listens, deep beats. So good. (all 17 other mixes are here)
- Silk Music Deep House Essentials 2021 — The Silk label puts out some amazing deep progressive, melodic, house.. Always super solid. This is another great deep house compilation that I really enjoyed listening to. They have some great 24/7 live channeled radio that’s worth checking out as well.
- Fortycats: My surprise discovery of the week —Super impressed with this Russian producer over on the Silk label. Her Silk Music Showcase guest mix is stellar and so is her 3 hour bedroom sessions set. Check out her new track From the North too. Really nice!
- Playlist Recommendation → Deeparture’s lastminute.
- New track suggestion → This Feeling, Hot Tub
- On repeat this week→ Unfolding: GRAZZE, Dan Soleil, Deeparture